TRUE BELIEVERS IN JESUS CHRIST Statement of Beliefs, Practices and Virtues (Part 1 of 6) – (730 words) (Think, Act and Be like JESUS). “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Corinthians 5: 17). “But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.” (John 20: 23).
A. THE ROOT: With our Beliefs, We Think like JESUS “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.” (Proverbs 23: 7). “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about these things.” (Philippians 4: 8).
Our beliefs which are all based on the Bible – God’s Word – not only reside in our minds, but more importantly in our hearts.
1. GOD – “May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.” (2 Corinthians 13: 14). We believe that the God of the Bible is the only true God: One Supreme Being in essence revealed in 3 Persons – Father, Son and Holy Spirit – in perfect love and unity.
2. GOOD and PERSONAL GOD – “I lift my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.” (Psalm 121: 1-2). We believe that God cares for us, is involved in our daily lives for our own good, and we can have a personal, intimate and vibrant relationship with Him.
3. SIN and SALVATION – “There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.” (Romans 3: 22-23). “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this is not from yourselves, it is a gift of God – not by works, so that no one can boast.” (Ephesians 2: 8-9).
Sin means “to miss the mark” of God’s standard. It is also disobedience or rebellion against Holy God which breaks our relationship with Him. And sin covers both man’s inclination to do wrong and his inability to do right. We believe that we came into a right relationship with God – forgiven from all our sins, made righteous and holy in God’s sight, and saved from His wrath – by God’s grace alone, through faith alone, in Jesus Christ’s merit alone.
4. REPENTANCE and BAPTISM – “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3: 16). “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” (Acts 2: 38).
We believe that all people have sinned, but all are loved by God. And all need Jesus Christ for their free gift of salvation to be in Heaven someday, forever and ever. Therefore, we repent – 180 degrees turn from sin to God – which is a change in our minds and hearts as evidenced by a change in our behaviors.
We are also baptized to show our public declaration of faith in Jesus Christ as the only Savior of our soul and the Lord of our life. And we know that we are united with Jesus in His death, burial and resurrection. So, we live by faith through the power and wisdom of the Holy Spirit in us, who transforms us.
5. THE BIBLE or GOD’S WORD – “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, correction, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3: 16-17).
We believe that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant and infallible Word of God that guides our beliefs and actions. And what God’s Word says will come true, will surely come true – it’s history written in advance for us to know and heed.
References: The Bible (NIV) and Randy Frazee’s “THINK ACT BE LIKE JESUS”