TRUE BELIEVERS IN JESUS CHRIST
Our Statement of Beliefs, Practices and Virtues (Part 5 of 6) – (542 words)
(Think, Act and Be like Jesus)
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Corinthians 5: 17).
“But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.” (John 20: 23).
C. THE FRUIT: With our Virtues, We are Becoming like JESUS
“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.” (Romans 12: 2).
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace. patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. (Galatians 5: 22-23).
With the Holy Spirit in us and leading us, living our lives like Jesus Christ is absolutely, positively the best way to live – now and forever. In sum, we want to BE LIKE JESUS and to share His abundant life in us to others.
1. LOVE – “This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.” (1 John 4: 10-12).
God’s love is unconditional, unchanging, inexhaustible, unmerited, generous beyond measure, and is for all.
We are created by God for relationships and thus, we are committed to loving God and loving other people – both friends and enemies.
2. JOY – “Be joyful always; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” (1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18).
Joy is the outward expression – thanksgiving. delights and sharing – of our inner experience – the grace and love of God. We can only keep and sustain our joy by giving it away to others so that they may also have joy in the Lord Jesus Christ.
Thus, despite any circumstance in our lives, we feel inner contentment and understand our purposes in life.
3. PEACE – “Do not be anxious about anything, but by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4: 6-7).
Peace is having the state of total well-being and wholeness from God (physical, mental, financial, etc. – Shalom).
We are free from anxieties because we have found peace with God, peace with ourselves and peace with others.
4. PATIENCE – “A patient man has great understanding, but a quick-tempered man displays folly.” (Proverbs 14: 29).
We are slow to anger and endure patiently the unavoidable pressures of life.
5. KINDNESS / GOODNESS – “Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else.” (1 Thessalonians 5: 15).
We always express kindness and goodness in our relationships with others.
References: The Bible (NIV) and Randy Frazee’s “THINK, ACT, BE LIKE JESUS”