Our Statement of Beliefs, Practices and Virtues (Part 2 of 6) – (644 words) (Think, Act and Be like Jesus)
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Corinthians 5: 17). “But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.” (John 20: 23).
A. THE ROOT: With our Beliefs, We Think like JESUS “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.” (Proverbs 23: 7).
“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about these things.” (Philippians 4: 8). Our beliefs which are all based on the Bible – God’s Word – not only reside in our minds, but more importantly in our hearts.
6. CHILDREN OF GOD – “Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God – children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or husband’s will, but born of God.” (John 1: 12).
With our belief in Jesus Christ, we are loved, secured, significant, and worthy because of our position as children of God, heirs to His kingdom and dual citizen of the New Heaven and New Earth.
7. CHURCH – “The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body – whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free – and we all given the one Spirit to drink.” (1 Corinthians 12: 12-13). We believe that the Church or the body of Christ – and we are part of it – is God’s primary means to accomplish his purposes here on earth. More important, the Church is who and what we are in between Sundays.
8. OBEDIENCE and COMPASSION – “To obey is better than sacrifice.” (1 Samuel 15: 22). “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” (Colossians 3: 12).
We believe that God calls all true Believers to show compassion to people in need. And we declare our love in Jesus Christ by obeying His commandments. True faith in God is obedience to God and vice versa.
9. STEWARDSHIP – “Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously…. for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. (2 Corinthians 9: 6-8). Since God is our Creator, we believe that everything we are and everything we own belong to God. We are simply stewards, not owners, of God’s resources. We use our time, talent and treasure for the glory and honor of God and to love and serve others.
10. RESURRECTION and JUDGMENT – “Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.” (Hebrews 9: 27-28).
We believe that there’s Heaven for the righteous and there’s Hell for the wicked. We also believe that Jesus Christ will come again to judge all people – living and dead – and to establish his eternal Kingdom where we will co-reign with Him.
References: The Bible (NIV) and Randy Frazee’s “THINK, ACT, BE LIKE JESUS”